Before you dip your spoon into your bowl of soup, you could sprinkle, drizzle, swirl or squeeze a little extra beauty on top!
The toppings on this carrot and lentil soup will make the soup over-the-top delicious. Besides making the soup more filling, they make it look more festive too. If you’ve ever looked at a pureed soup and saw baby food looking back, you know what I mean ;-). Luckily this soup is quite easy to make. Enjoy!
- Olive oil
- 250 gram red lentils
- 1 winter carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cm fresh ginger
- 1/4 fresh red pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cubes vegetable broth
- 1 small can tomato puree
- A dash of coconut milk
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Rice – prepared according to package instructions
- Red lentils
- Carrot slices
- Red pepper slices
- Roasted cashew nuts
- Boil one liter water in the water boiler.
- Chop the carrot, onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper into small pieces (no need to chop it too small, you will puree it later)
- Heat oil in a stock pot
- Fry the onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper
- Add the herbs and fry for a moment and deglaze it with a tablespoon tomato puree
- Add the carrot and red lentils and stir
- Add the water and vegetable broth
- Bring everything to boil and let it boil over low heat for about 20-30 minutes
- Stir once in a while and add some extra water if the soup gets too thick
- If the carrot is soft, you can puree the soup
- Finally, add some coconut milk and don’t forget to taste 😉
- This soup is really nice in combination with the toppings, and they make it look beautiful too!
I would love it if you let me know if you tried this recipe and what you think of it! You can share your pictures on Instagram by using #spotavegan or tag @spotavegan.