Vegan or not, hummus is the favourite sandwich spread of almost every health freak! And luckily it is super simple to make yourself!
The naturally bright pink colour of this beet hummus, matched with its delectable flavour will surprise everyone. You can serve this beet hummus with bread, raw veggies, and/or fruit for a delicious snack. It takes only two minutes to process this hummus, but first you have to choose if you pop a beet in the oven or if you boil it. Or if you simply buy boiled beets in the supermarket 😉
- 1 small beet or the half of a bigger one
- 1-2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 can chickpeas, well rinsed and drained (400 gram)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
There are many methods to prepare your beet. Choose yourself what option suits you best! Here are two options:
- Roast: Preheat oven to 200C. Wrap the beet (washed and cut off by its ends) in foil and place it in the middle of the oven for about 40 minutes or until it is soft enough for a fork to easily pierce. Cool it a bit afterward.
- Boil: Cook water in a pan and put the beet in it (also washed and cut off by its ends). Simmer until tender for about 30 minutes until you can easily penetrate it with a knife or fork. Cool it a bit and don’t forget to drain before you put it in the food processor.
Once this is done, you can place garlic in the food processor and mince. Add the boiled or roasted beet, chickpeas, sea salt, ground pepper and lemon juice.
Add some olive oil as the hummus is blending or mixing. Check consistency, and add a little more oil if needed. Adjust seasonings and ingredients to taste.
I would love it if you let me know if you tried this recipe and what you think of it! You can share your pictures on Instagram by using #spotavegan or tag @spotavegan.