If you’re tired of hummus and are looking for vegan sandwich spreads that are more exciting, you should try this delicious broccoli pesto!
The first time I ate this vegan pesto was at Coffee ‘n Oven, a nice restaurant with a cute little bakery in Canggu, Bali. I wanted to order a sandwich topped with radish, avocado and tomato (I just love this healthy combi!), but because it came with cream cheese , I asked the waitress to replace it with a vegan spread. I did not even know it existed, but the kind waitress served the sandwich with one of the most delicious dips I’ve ever tasted: vegan broccoli pesto. Of course I could not go home without the recipe, and I love to share it with you! And by the way, this pesto is Paleo, dairy free and gluten free.
- 2 cups broccoli (chopped in small florets)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts (you can leave them out if you are allergic)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: I always add 1/4 of a vegetable bouillon cube to the water and leave the salt out. Just make sure the E numbers in these cubes are vegan. I use vegan vegetable bouillon cubes from Maggi.
- Steam or cook the broccoli florets until tender
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add some extra water if you prefer a less crumbly mixture.
- Add more salt (or bouillon), pepper, olive oil or basil to taste
I would love it if you let me know if you tried this recipe and what you think of it! You can share your pictures on Instagram by using #spotavegan or tag @spotavegan.