Pad Thai is one of those popular dishes that is not that difficult to veganise. Check out this recipe!
Did you know that Pad Thai (or Phad Thai) is one of the most popular Thai dishes outside Thailand? I totally understand why, it is so ease to make and super tasty! Luckily Pad Thai is one of these dishes that is easy to veganise. You can use a colourful array of crunchy veggies and the golden-friend tofu cubes are a great addition to this recipe too. Enjoy!
Preperation time: 10 minutes – Cooking time: 10 minutes – Yield: 4 servings
For the Pad Thai:
- 120 grams brown rice noodles (you can get stir-fry type noodles or Pad Thai noodles – and usually that’s half a box)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons vegan fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (sambal oelek)
For the fried tofu:
- 200 grams firm tofu, cubed
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup panko (you can also use regular breadcrumbs)
- Vegetable oil to fry the tofu cubes
- 1/2 cup coriander, chopped
- Some sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
- Red chili pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup bunching onions, chopped
- Optional: lemon slices
- Press the tofu to drain excess moisture and cut it into squares (see image).
- Place flour in a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste and add water to make it into a little thin paste.
- Place panko in a bowl. Dip the cubed tofu in the flour mix and then roll the tofu in panko.
- Heat 1cm vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and, when the oil is warm enough, place the tofu cubes in it . Make sure you fry the cubes on all sides until crisp and golden (this usually takes about 1 min) and drain afterwards.
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- Cut the zucchini, chili pepper, carrots, and onion into very small pieces.
- Shake up the sauce ingredients in a jar.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Add the veggies – stir fry for 3-4 minutes or until tender-crisp. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the noodles to the hot pan and stir fry for a minute. Add the sauce and stir fry for another minute or two, until the sauce is starting to thicken and stick to the noodles.
- Add in the vegetables, toss together, and remove from heat.
Serve the Pad Thai with all the toppings and fried tofu and you are ready to enjoy this super delicious Vegan Pad Thai!
I would love it if you let me know if you tried this recipe and what you think of it! You can share your pictures on Instagram by using #spotavegan or tag @spotavegan.
P.S. Do you like this blog post? Follow SPOT A VEGAN on Instagram and Facebook for daily updates.
Leave a Reply